Monday, April 11, 2005

Comments on CHL qualification at parallax adjustment

Shooter at parallax adjustment has some comments on his recent CHL qualification. In the comments there I said this: During my recent re-qualification, we were told very specifically, "if you have a malfunction, do not attempt to clear it--WE will clear it for you." This is exactly wrong. Part of knowing how to use a semi-auto is knowing how to clear a jam, not just punching at least 175 points worth of holes in the paper. Unfortunately, under Texas law (I think), the ability to clear a jam is not required, only that one achieve the minimum score when shooting.

At my recent re-qualification (at which all 15 of us were re-qualifying), the most disconcerting thing I saw was the guy next to me who was shooting a Bersa .380. The sorry thing jammed constantly--I'm not kidding. He had to call the range instructor over to clear that thing 7 or 8 times during the entire 50-shot course. I hope he was only using it to qualify, and doesn't actually carry the thing. I'm hoping he carries a good, dependable revolver, if that's the only semi-auto he could come up with.

(In Texas, you must qualify with a semi-auto to be licensed to carry a semi-auto. If you qualify with a revolver, you are allowed to carry only a revolver.)

No comments:

Post a Comment