Friday, May 13, 2005

Friday Night Ramble 05/13/05

At birth a witch laid on me monstrous spells...

And so begins a poem called Singer in the Mist, by Robert E. Howard. It is a poem that I memorized a long time ago because someone said it reminded him of me. I am reminded it of it tonight because, although I would sometimes like to be more explicit about certain aspects of my employment, I dare not. The odds of anyone who matters ever reading this blog are extremely small, yet, that infinitesmal likelihood means that it will almost certainly happen. This is one aspect of the curse.

I will say that my morning was considerably brightened today when I saw a certain name on the list of people who would be reading meters instead of delivering notices. I actually laughed aloud.

This week started easy, and then got very hard. Southside meter routes seem to be disproportionately long, and CPS always seems to get behind and need us more often in that area. Thus, I spent Wednesday through today in various southside neighborhoods. Yesterday there must have been a worn spot on one sock, because I developed a blister that turned somewhat painful today and is still making me limp now. Today I even accomplished something new. It is a horrendous route which I have done 7 or 8 times since our "project" started (about 1 1/2 years now), and I have never been able to finish it in one day. Today I did finish it, although it nearly killed me. The intense humidity didn't help much, either.

No dangerous dog encounters to report for this week. In fact, I spent a couple of minutes today with the friendliest pit bull I have ever met.

Tonight I have been reading an entire blog. Yes, this is the first time I've ever gone all the way through all the archives and read every word. The blog is The Darth Side, and it is told from the point of view of Darth Vader. It is funny, and sometimes very touching. The author of it is a great writer. I recommend it for anyone who wants to get in some quality fiction laced with good doses of humor.

Speaking of which, I laughed for quite some time yesterday over accounts of the escalating tensions between China and Right Hand of God. I gotta start reading more humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment