Sunday, May 22, 2005

A severe lack of gun activity

I didn't manage any gun-related activites this weekend, but I did try a new experiment. I don't usually carry all the time, because it just isn't comfortable. But Saturday I had to run down the road for a bag of charcoal, so I popped in the ol' SP-101. When I got back home, I continued to wear it all day. I spent most of the day outside, barbecuing. I have a New Braunfels Smoker with which I have become quite proficient in making extremely good smoked meats. This time I did a small brisket as well as some country-style pork ribs. The pork was especially good (I'm not really a huge fan of brisket). So I was barbecuing and carrying outside in 100-degree heat. God knows what the heat index was. Okay, I was in the shade most of the time so it probably wasn't over 100.

Anyway, by the time I went inside the gun did have sweat on it. But cleaning it off before I put it away will probably prevent any sweat-related damage. While outside, I also unloaded it and practiced drawing it from concealment for a while, which I think I need to do more of. Wearing it for so long was not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.

I am hoping that on the upcoming Memorial Day I can do some real shooting. I am planning on, at a minimum, doing some range time with an old .22 rifle of my dad's and doing a write-up on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment