Saturday, August 13, 2005

August Range Report

I did manage to get to the range today, taking with me the XD40 and the Single-Six. Shooting the XD went pretty much as expected. I used up 100 rounds of Wolf Polyformance plus 20 rounds of Winchester JHP without a single problem. The reloads that a friend recently gave me were another story. Now at 300 rounds plus, I think the XD is sufficiently broken in and has proven itself reliable, as long as I'm using decent factory ammo and not reloads. I just need to keep working on it to improve my accuracy. I'm always kind of worried that I'm going to look like a real incompetent at a public range, but I went straight to the 15 yard line. Four other guys there were shooting at the 7 yard line and were doing no better than I at half the distance. So I guess I was doing okay.

The Single-Six was a problem. I don't know how, when, or why, but the sights were way off (high and to the left). Another kind soul there gave me one of his Shoot-N-See targets so I could see those tiny .22 holes, and it helped, but by the time I had started to get the hits where I wanted them I had run out of ammo. I think I might even go out in my big "back yard" later today or tomorrow and work on it some more. At least my grouping with this gun was quite good, I just had to keep adjusting the sights and never did get it into the center where I was aiming.

One note about this range, Bullet Hole Shooting Range. They hold CHL classes every Saturday (and CHL renewal classes every Sunday). There must have been about 30 people there for the class today (the shooting qualification for which is held on a separate range from the "public" range). If they have that many there every Saturday...wow. That's a lot of people getting CHL's.

No comments:

Post a Comment