Saturday, August 13, 2005

Bittersweet stoplight update

Reference previous posts here and here. According to the portable flashing sign on highway 87 now, the stoplight will go into operation on Tuesday 8/16. It has been about three years since the extension to FM 1346 turned this into a four-way intersection which has been plagued with numerous accidents and more than one death.

I am convinced that if a real stoplight had been installed at this intersection in the beginning, as it should have, many of these accidents would have been prevented simply because of better traffic control. I also believe there would be a very good possibility that that little girl would not have been killed.

When this highway extension first opened, and I was utterly astounded to see that they were not going to put a stoplight there, the first thing I said to my wife was, "I wonder who will have to die before they put up a real stoplight." Unfortunately, now we know.

Some readers of this blog might be wondering why I'm harping on this. I guess this is the only way I can say "I told you so, you stupid !@#$%&* idiots." The little girl who lost her life here was the same age as my daughter, and they attended pre-K at the same time, though in different classes. I was horrified at the time it happened, and writing this has made me realize the horror still hasn't worn off very much.

1 comment: