Sunday, September 25, 2005

Banned Books Week

September 24 - October 1 is Banned Books Week. Check out the lists of The Top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000 and The Top Ten Most Frequently Challenged Books of 2004, and see how many "banned" books you've read without realizing it.

I have one problem with their list of last year's books. On their list is "Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture by Michael A. Bellesiles, for inaccuracy and political viewpoint." No, political viewpoint has nothing to do with it, and "inaccuracy" is an understatement.

For the first time in many years, Huckleberry Finn dropped off the top ten list of 2004.

UPDATE: Lest Darkness Fall has some thoughts on this, as well.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I shamefully stole this idea and used it in a post on my own blog, though I did credit it you for it.

    http://lestdarknessfall.blogspot.com/2005/09/banned-books.html

    I was surprised to discover how many of the books and authors I have read have come under attack. It's hard to believe that there are still people in our modern and free society that would prefer Dark Ages and ignorance over a free exchange of ideas and information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of issues with people who think they can tell me what to read.

    ReplyDelete