Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Gun-buying time

I have mentioned recently a couple of guns that I would really like to buy (like this and this). But recent events have made me re-evaluate what I should really add to my collection. To be honest with myself, if I just want a hunting rifle, my dad has two that are perfectly useful. Although right now I can easily afford to add a gun to the collection, part of me still has to justify it to myself, so I have been thinking about this a lot for the past several days.

I do not have anything that I would consider a "SHTF gun."

My criteria for such a weapon are:
1) Must use ammo that is easily found and widely available.
2) Must use ammo that can also be used in a handgun.
2a) Such ammo should be in a caliber in which I already own at least one handgun.
3) Must also be able to serve as a hunting rifle if needed--i.e., a "hundred-yard deer gun."

Based on these three (four) items, I've already pretty much decided what it has to be. Today I visited the manufacturer's website, printed out their page on it (downloaded the manual too, btw), and I will begin visiting local gun stores to check on prices and availability.

If any readers feel the need to comment on this, and have other criteria that should be considered, please feel free to speak up. Feel free to guess at what I'm looking for--if you guess correctly, I'll say you're right! Sorry, no prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment