Monday, September 05, 2005

Mr. Completely's E-Postal Match #2 -- "Snub or Not" Entry

This post has been edited from the original.

Ah, well. I was determined to get an entry for this match, and post it, no matter how bad it made me look. Mr. Completely was looking for snubs on this match, so I went with the snubbiest snubby I have: a North American Arms Mini-Revolver with a 1 1/8" barrel. I fired a few shots at a big Shoot-N-C target to warm up, and hit it a few times, so went ahead with the match targets. Target #1, standing:

click for larger picture
















The judge's final ruling is that this is worth 75. I was much tougher on myself, because some of those shots hit the wrong target.

So I went to resting position. I was sitting on my back steps with my elbows on my knees--that's about the best I could come up with for a bench rest. Inexplicably, to me, my shooting got worse. This is worth 40.

click for larger picture
















It might be that my shooting was getting worse because it was 102 in the shade behind my house, and by the time I got to the second target I had sweat running in my eyes. I don't know.

So there you have it. I will say, in my defense, that I never intended nor expected this gun to be used at 10-yard ranges. This is at most a last-ditch defense, and when I do practice with it, I am usually at ranges of 5 yards or less. I will take comfort in the fact that if I aim at the center of someone's torso at 10 yards, I am going to hit them somewhere in the torso (or possibly the throat--it seems to go high on me).

I tried a new grip that someone had suggested. I used my strong hand only to wrap around the grips and hold it. I used my weak hand, wrapped around my strong hand, to cock and pull the trigger. It was much more comfortable and stable than usual, and I fired all 50 shots without wearing my fingers out like I usually do. This makes me look forward to doing more real practice with it. I just need to get some really big Shoot-N-C targets.

In addition, I know that I can enter with other guns and longer barrels. But I thought it would be interesting to try the mini-revolver. Also, I was unable to go to the range or anywhere else that I could do extensive shooting. If I shoot on my own property, I have to keep the noise down. If I start banging away with larger calibers someone might get annoyed. The ammo used here were relatively quiet CCI Short CB's. I didn't have enough of them on hand to fire another 50 rounds with my other .22 revolver. Also I was going for the "smallest gun used." Heh.

Lessons learned:
1) If I'm ever attacked by a horde of zombies or deep ones, this gun ain't gonna cut it.
2) No matter how much I practice, this gun is never going to be a sniper rifle.
3) Now that I've found a better way to hold it, I'm going to shoot it more often.

Entered in Mr. Completely's E-Postal Match #2--Snub or Not

1 comment:

  1. Got your target. Although it's hard to clearly see some of the holes, I think you did a lot better than you give yourself credit for. All you have to do is touch the ring, and it counts as in. As to counting shots that wander onto another target, I figure it this way. Imagine you are faced with two goblins, you shoot at the left one, and the right one goes down, it counts, right? I've always figured there's nothing wrong with being lucky!

    I count your score as a 75 and a 40, for 115 total. Some were too close to tell from the monitor, so I give you the benefit of the doubt, and count it as higher.

    By the way, you don't have to shoot only snubbies. The classes are under 2.5" barrel, over 2.5" up to 4", and over 4". You can enter as many guns as you like!

    ReplyDelete