Sunday, October 23, 2005

First time I've seen one of these

I've always been a weather-watcher, but somehow I've never heard of this kind of warning before: the "Red Flag Warning."

"A RED FLAG WARNING MEANS WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL PROMOTE FIRES THAT ARE DIFFICULT TO CONTROL ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. A RED FLAG WARNING IS COMPLETELY SEPARATE FROM A LOCAL BURN BAN WHICH IS ISSUED BY LOCAL OFFICALS."

Basically it means we have relatively high winds and relative low humidity. Right now the humidity is 31% at my house, and the winds have been gusting all day (official report says winds gusting to 21 mph). I have seen these kinds of conditions countless times, but this is the first time I've ever noticed an actual warning issued about it.

And we can expect lows around 30 by Tuesday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment