Tuesday, January 31, 2006

9x18 Defensive Ammo

Head tipped us off to a review of the Makarov at Box O' Truth. It's a good review, worth reading, especially if you do not own a Makarov. They are fantastic little guns. However, they made one mistake in saying that there is no quality defensive ammo available for it. Although "quality" is a subjective term, I would like to point out that there is some very good (in my opinion) defensive ammo for it. Note that this is still 9x18 ammo, which by some standards is underpowered for defensive use. All I can say on this is: I wouldn't want to be shot with one.

Several years ago I did some research on all the Makarov ammo that I could find, and there is still one manufacturer that makes some good defensive ammo: Hornady. Their specs for it are: 95 grain JHP, 1000 fps, 211 ft/lbs at the muzzle. It can be ordered from Cheaper Than Dirt or Natchez Shooters Supplies. I usually just buy it at the monthly gun show.

Cor-Bon made some +P Makarov ammo at one time, but I think it has been discontinued. Cheaper Than Dirt also lists a couple of different versions of Glaser Safety Slugs for the Mak, if that's your thing. The Hornady XTP is what mine is loaded with, although I don't carry it anymore.

Tags: