Friday, January 06, 2006

Gun Show Tomorrow!

My wife is off work this weekend, so I'm free for a few hours to hit the gun show. On the shopping list: a couple of 12-round mags for the XD40, if I can find some, and grips for the SP-101. Maybe a new holster for the snubby, too, if I come across something I like. My Uncle Mike's Sidekick is getting a little tattered.

Also probably some 7.62x25mm ammo. And I'll take a look at the lever guns, just for kicks.

UPDATE: First of all, I did not buy a gun. I was only shopping for accessories, and don't have the budget for a firearm right now. There was ONE factory XD40 12-round mag in the whole place, and he wanted $30 for it. I think I can get a better deal online somewhere. I did purchase some Hogue grips for the SP-101 and a new holster for it as well. I'll see if I can post a pic of the snubby later, after I install the new grips. There was one gun dealer who had an SP-101 just like mine for sale, with the Hogue grips already installed, so I got to handle one to see how it would feel before I bought the grips. I think I'm going to like them a lot more than the factory grips. No one there ever has any lever guns in .357. There were lots of old .30-30's, and a few other older calibers like .30 WCF. I always keep an eye open for Makarovs, and I saw only one, a Baikal in .380 ACP with adjustable sights, for $239. I can't really explain why I always look for Makarovs, it's just something I do.

There were plenty of all varieties of XD's there, except for the new .45 ACP version. The .45 GAP XD's are tiny. I also got to handle a couple of Ruger P345's, which to me seem quite compact compared to the P-9* series.

The Beretta CX series was there, this time down to $500 from $600, where they were a few months ago. There were also plenty of reasonably-priced, used semi-auto and pump shotguns. I also saw a table full of Mosin-Nagant 91/30's still in the wrappers, and another table full of battered Yugo SKS's.

The coolest thing about the show is that I ran into someone who was a co-worker of mine several years ago, and he has since become something of a gun guy. We caught up on old news, and then spent some time browsing the wares together.

I always try to find one old gun that really catches my eye. This time it was an old H&R 9-shot .22 revolver. It reeked of history.

Another interesting gun I saw was built like an AK, but fires the .410 shotshell. Pretty neat, but I can't think of any practical use for it. Unless you consider "fun" a practical use, which is fine with me.

Oh yeah, in answer to the comment, my XD is the mid-sized "service" model.

UPDATE 2: Sorry, no pictures. I just can't get a decent shot. Apparently my camera wasn't made for taking sharp pictures of small items like guns. I think I'm going to like the new grips, though. Next free Saturday I'll be taking it to the range and trying it out.