Monday, February 13, 2006

The Dick Cheney Thing

Everyone has already read about Dick Cheney accidentally shooting a fellow hunter during a quail hunt recently. My only comment on this is that many hunters only use their gun(s) once or twice a year. They do not go to the trouble of handling a gun every day to train themselves to have safe handling skills. I say this as someone who used to be a gun owner just so I could hunt. Safe gun handling requires everyday routines that are drilled into one's head so that such safe handling comes to be automatic.

I have nothing against the folks who use their gun only to hunt. I just think if you're going to hunt, you should make sure to handle your gun more often than only when you actually do hunt. This would cut down on a lot of so-called hunting "errors."