Wednesday, January 09, 2008

How to lose your rights in one easy step

When they took the guns away from unlicensed orchids sellers, I said nothing because I do not sell orchids.

When they took the guns away from sellers of untagged oysters, I said nothing because I do not sell oysters.

When they took the guns away from those who shipped lobsters and lobster tails in opaque plastic bags instead of paper bags, I said nothing because I do not ship lobsters.

When they took the guns away from those who teach bears to wrestle, I said nothing because I don't teach bears anything.

When they took the guns away from spammers, I said nothing because I do not spam.

This egregious expansion of what constitutes a "felony" is just another assault on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

Thanks to Buckeye Firearms Association, who quotes Glenn Reynolds in the linked article:
"If you haven't been convicted of some felony or other, it's probably because no prosecutor has tried to put you away, not because you haven't committed one, whether you realized it at the time or not."
And if anyone wanders across this post who doesn't care because you think that guns should be taken away anyway, remember this: All of the above "felonies" will also result in your being legally prohibited from voting for the rest of your life.

1 comment: