Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Immortal Castro

Heard this on the radio this morning, so I just G00gl3d up the news article. From Sioux City Journal:
"This is not my farewell to you," he wrote. "My only wish is to fight as a soldier in the battle of ideas. I shall continue to write under the title, 'Reflections of Comrade Fidel.' It will be another weapon you can count on. Perhaps my voice will be heard."
My prediction: "Castro" will continue to write for years and years. He will still be "alive" when Raul kicks the bucket and will appoint the next successor. He'll be at least 100 years old before it's officially acknowledged that he's dead.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I got the impression that Codrescu was saying just that Castro would be immortalized, but you are suggesting his death will be denied. But either way, you've basically made the same point... death won't kill him.

    ReplyDelete