Monday, March 31, 2008

Inside North Korea

Infiltrating North Korea is a fascinating series by Neil Woodburn.
And so, one drizzly afternoon last October, I found myself in the Pyongyang Airport waiting for a guide to take me into town and unveil this planet's most mysterious nation over the next five days--the maximum amount of time an American is allowed in for the games. Unless, of course, something goes terribly wrong--a fear made all the more real when my guide confiscated my passport and ticket out of the country and turned them over to the police for the entirety of my stay in North Korea. I wasn't going anywhere if the government didn't want me to. It wasn't until I returned to the airport terminal five days later that I was finally reunited with my only means out of the country.

Those passportless five days turned out to be truly extraordinary and worth every moment of my will-I-get-out-of-here-alive fear. Over the next two weeks I will be sharing with you this amazing, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel back in time and personally witness the communist regime, cult of personality, totalitarian lifestyle, and oddball reclusiveness known as North Korea. It ain't Paris, but I think you'll love it nonetheless.
I just started and am still reading through it, but had to take some time to recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment