Thursday, March 05, 2009

Dinah Washington

Dinah Washington - untitled

Wow. I never would have thought that my mother-in-law had stuff like this on her shelves. This is an old record, but I don't know how old. According to the jacket notes, it was released after her death, but like many records from days long gone by, it wasn't dated, and it isn't part of her official discography. From Roulette Records, which rings a long-forgotten bell in the back of my mind. I think my mother must have a bunch of old 45s from Roulette.

The record wasn't in good shape. It not only popped and clicked, it crackled. Even after cleaning it and running the files through Goldwave's filters, it's still kind of rough, and it looks like there are at least two jumps in it. I don't know what the technical term is, but by "jump" I mean that there's a scratch bad enough to make the needle jump a groove. But for the most part, it's still listenable, and boy did she have a great voice.

Track list:
Side A
1. What's New
2. I Used to Love You
3. I'll Never Stop Loving You
4. He's My Guy
5. To Forget About You
6. Somebody Else is Taking My Place

Side B
1. That Old Feeling
2. He's Gone Again
3. These Foolish Things (a favorite oldy song of mine)
4. Me and My Gin
5. Just One More Chance
6. Don't Say Nothin' at All

Click below to hear a sample from "Me and My Gin."

Me_and_My_Gin_sample
Me_and_My_Gin_samp...
Hosted by eSnips

No comments:

Post a Comment