Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Free mp3s from Amazon: my brief comments

1. Chester French - "She Loves Everybody"
PLONK! Deleted. Exceptional in its mundanity.
2. Chavel Sombre - "Little Bit of Heaven"
A keeper. I haven't been able to find anything about this group (I think it's a group). This track is...oh...minimalistic and sort of droney, like Velvet Underground crossed with Tangerine Dream.
3. Great Big Sea - "Excursion Around the Bay"
A definite keeper, catchy and sea-chanty-ish.
4. Justin Rosolino - "I Wanna Know Why"
Keeper. Wish I could find the lyrics somewhere.
5. Los Straitjackets - "Fortune Cookie"
Instrumental surf music. This one will be nice to hear when it turns up in the shuffle.
6. Samantha Crain and the Midnight Shivers - "Songs in the Night"
Another keeper. Her vocal style reminds me a little of Edie Brickell, but I think she's a better singer. Her myspace page says she's "an Oklahoma-based song writer." Some twangy country-ish guitars, nice.
7. Susan Marshall - "Oh My Soul"
She definitely knows what she's doing with her voice. Influences of soul and blues, I'd like to hear more of her stuff.

Well, that's it for the singles.

"Excursion Around the Bay"

Well it was on this monday morning
And the day be calm and fine
A harbour grace excursion
With the boys who had the time
And just before the sailor
Took the gangway from the pier
I saw some fellow haul me wife
Aboard as a volunteer

[Chorus:]

Oh me, oh my, I heard me old wife cry
Oh me, oh my, I think I'm gonna die!
Oh me, oh my, I heard me old wife say,
"I wish I'd never taken this excursion around the bay"

We had fourteen hundred souls aboard, oh what a splendid sight!
Left stong and regimental to make our spirits bright
And meself being in the double, when a funny things they'd say
They choke themselves from laughing when they'd see us in the bay

[Chorus]

Me wife she got no better, she turned a sickly green
I fed her cake and candy, fat pork and kerosene
Castor Oil and sugar of candy, I rubbed pure oil on her face
And I said she'll be a dandy when we reaches Harbour Grace!

[Chorus]

My wife she got no better, my wife me darling dear
The screeches from her trollear could hear in Carbonear
I tried every place in Harbour Grace,
Tried every store and shop,
To get her something for a cure or take her to the hop

[Chorus]

She died below the brandy's as we were coming back
We buried her in the ocean, wrapped up in a Union Jack
So now I am a single man, in search of a pretty face
And the woman that says she'll have me, I'm off for Harbour Grace!

[Chorus]

No comments:

Post a Comment