Friday, August 28, 2009

10 albums a day #29


The Best of the Big Bands (double CD)
Walter Bishop, Jr. - Hot House (1978)*
Willis Jackson
- In the Alley (1977)*
- The Gator Horn (1977)*
- Single Action (1978)*
Yellowjackets - Greenhouse (1991, CD)

*Downloaded from Kathleen Loves Music.

And now we come to the end of the jazz section (for now). The Best of the Big Bands was picked up somewhere by my wife, and the title describes the contents pretty well. 24 pieces that are now timeless classics from Glenn Miller Orchestra, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington and Count Basie.

Walter Bishop, Jr. is a pianist and on this album he is accompanied by bass, trumpet and tenor sax.

Willis Jackson is a tenor sax player who is accompanied by full bands on these albums (piano/organ, guitar, bass, drums, percussion). Jackson also used a custom-designed saxophone-like horn that he called "The Gator Horn" which can be heard on side B of the album of that name. You can see a bigger picture of it here.

Yellowjackets are another "fusion" group. I bought this album from some music club in '91 when I started trying to expand my jazz collection, but the club had woefully little jazz, or even "jazz." This one's okay, but I never got into it enough to hunt down any more of their stuff.

There are also 10 or 12 random singles that I downloaded from here & there (which include my only Dave Sanborn), and 11 sampler CDs from Jazziz magazine. I subscribed to Jazziz during 1995. Each issue comes with a sampler CD, mostly of modern jazz and newer releases. I had to let it go due to fiscal concerns (the 90s were dark years for me, monetarily). I looked into re-subscribing not long ago but their price is pretty steep, and I put it off. I might get back into it sometime, though. It was really nice getting all that new unknown music once a month.

And in the interest of full disclosure, there are two Kenny G CDs in my house which I have ripped, and my wife bought both of them. However, I have put them in a separate directory with some other odd stuff that I call "Other MP3s." I tried...oh how I tried to keep them in the general collection so that they could turn up in the shuffle, but I got tired to skipping past them so I just moved them to the other directory.

Album count, including the 11 Jazziz and 2 Kenny G CDs: 294.

No comments:

Post a Comment