Monday, October 05, 2009

10 albums a day #57


Various artists.

Walt Disney's Merriest Songs (1968, mono LP)
H.R. Pufnstuf Soundtrack (1969, 7-inch EP)
Potatoes Volume I (1987, LP)
A Taste of Ireland: Irish Traditional Music (1997, CD)
American Roots Songbook: Americana (2002, CD)
Best of the Bubblegum Years (1988, CD)
Barbershop Harmony Time (1994, CD)
Country Hits of the 50s (1990, CD)
Freedom Rock (1987, double CD)
I'm a Man of Constant Sorrow and others (2001, cassette)

I don't remember where I found that Taste of Ireland CD, but I have the impression that I picked it up at a used book store that had some cheap and/or used CDs. It has some good stuff, if you like listening to (more or less) traditional Irish music.

Same goes for the Americana CD. It has ten tracks, and the only artist on it who I've heard of anywhere else is Don Edwards, who did a double CD of cowboy songs that I mentioned in a previous post. It's a good CD, though.

I think I actually ordered the Bubblegum CD from a music club in the early 90s. Fourteen bubblegum hits from Ohio Express, Lemon Pipers, 1910 Fruitgum Co., and a few others. I bought it mostly so I'd have "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy," because I had heard it on Monty Python.

The barbershop CD has 10 tracks, five each from The Buffalo Bills and The Cordettes, the latter of which is a female barbershop quartet. This is the only collection of barbershop quartet music I have.

The Country Hits CD must be another of those Dollar General possible "bootlegs." Artists included are Tennessee Ernie Ford, Ferlin Husky, Faron Young and others.

Freedom Rock is one of maybe three collections that I have ordered from a TV commercial. Some of the songs don't really seem to fit the theme, and some of them now sound so stupid that they're hard to listen to without an ironic smirk. However, it does have several songs that I like enough to count the collection as a good score, like "One Tin Soldier," "Signs," In the Year 2525," "Lay Down" and "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo."

The last one on cassette is another of those truck-stop tapes (possible "bootleg") that I bought somewhere while truck-driving. It has The Stanley Brothers, Cowboy Copas, and The Nashville Dulcimers (which I mentioned before), plus several others I hadn't heard of before. It's a good collection of that old kind of country/folk music.

Album count: 587.

No comments:

Post a Comment