Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Moffatts - Chapter 1: A New Beginning (yard sale CD)

I have tried to write this post several times now. I just can't see any way around it, but I'm sure this is going to somehow come back and bite me in the butt.

This was one of the yard sale CDs, so I dutifully listened to it. I had never heard of these guys before, so I had to look them up. When this CD was released, the oldest one was 15. The other three, who are triplets, were 14. This was their third album. The first two albums were country (allegedly--I've never heard them), but with this one they changed their sound to pop/rock. They released only one other studio album after this one (not including a "best of" album) and then broke up, seemingly because they couldn't escape the "boy band" stigma and were looking at a future wherein they would be the world's oldest "boy band." Unlike many such bands today, they were not discovered nor propped up by the Disney behemoth (although they did appear on one episode of So Weird (one of my favorite shows, btw)). They're all still in the music biz, but so far they haven't achieved much fame in their separate efforts.

They all play their own instruments, and they can all sing. They can really sing. Their harmony is sweet and immaculate and there is not a trace of autotune. I can't find any reason to hate this album. There isn't anything in it that I would (so far) want to add to my favorites, but the album will be going into the Big Shuffle.

So there. Let the derision begin.

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of performers that get ignored until they come out with a single that grabs the masses; maybe that's what they need to get noticed.

    ReplyDelete