Monday, December 13, 2010

Ultravox - Vienna (1980, LP)

I have mentioned this one before but I recently re-ripped it to encode it at a higher bit rate. In short, I bought this one because I heard Geddy Lee mention it in a radio interview. I have one other album of theirs but I haven't re-ripped it yet. Ultravox were a British synthpop (for lack of a better term) group, fairly heavy on the electronics. Their music--that is, of their music that I'm familiar with--has a kind of darkness of atmosphere to it. I like it quite a lot. It's not the kind of thing that ever got played on any radio stations around here, to my knowledge. They recently re-formed and are active again, I think. This was their first album with then new lead singer/guitarist Midge Ure. They had three previous albums with a different lead singer.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished ripping my own Ultravox lps. They were New Romantics, Midge Ure was in Visage (Fade to Grey); the previous singer was John Foxx who went on to do at least 2 other albums. They were quite big on this side of the pond though drifting more into pop as time went on.

    ReplyDelete