Friday, April 15, 2011

Weird movie

I just watched Paul McCartney Really Is Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison. When I see a movie like this, I always wonder: what did this guy hope to accomplish with this movie? He couldn't have made any money on it. He couldn't possibly have believed all that stuff. I kept expecting it to be satire, but it never got funny.

I guess if you want a 97-minute exhaustive account of the whole "Paul is Dead" conspiracy theory, this is your movie. Otherwise, just watch The Rutles, which actually is funny and entertaining.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of this movie. The "Paul is Dead" stuff is a kind of fun, if not a bit done already. But my natural curiosity for all things Beatilian makes me want to watch it. Where did you see this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I streamed it from Netflix.

    The premise is: in 2005 some little independent film studio called Highway 61 Entertainment received a package that contained two microcassettes. The voice on the cassettes claimed to be George Harrison, who allegedly recorded them in early January 2000 while in the hospital recovering from the infamous knife attack. The entire movie is done documentary-style using the narration from the tapes, set against a backdrop of photographs, album covers, newspaper clippings and video clips. The story is that an MI5 agent known to them only as Maxwell engineered the conspiracy in order to prevent mass suicides of Paul fans. Years later, even though so much time had passed, the same Maxwell masterminded the death of Lennon when he was about to come clean with the whole story, and still later was also behind the attempted murder of Harrison.

    ReplyDelete