Saturday, April 28, 2012

Today's movie watching

Netflix has recently gotten a whole bunch of streamable documentaries--or rockumentaries--in a series called Classic Albums.  Today I watched the one about The Doors eponymous first album.

I agree with one of the commenters at Amazon:  there is some "filler" with contemporary musicians commenting on how influential, ground-breaking, etc., etc., ad nauseum this album was, and I don't care what they think, either.  Those minutes could have been better spent with additional background information or commentary by the people who were actually there when it happened.

That said, there is still a lot of great background information from those people who were there:  the three surviving members, producers, and others of the time.  Some of it I already knew, having read books and seen other documentaries about them, but some of it was new to me, such as how they actually developed the songs on the first album, from scratch, as it were.

Then I started watching another one about Fleetwood Mac's Rumors but got interrupted.  Once I finish it I plan on watching the one on Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast, then Rush's 2112.

I also tried watching Anvil:  The Story of Anvil, but it was kind of boring.  At times they almost ventured into Spinal Tap-like comedy, but knowing that this was a real band just made it sad and embarrassing.


No comments:

Post a Comment