Saturday, May 19, 2012

Another flower


IMG_0166
I don't know what this flower is, it's just another of those flowers that I always see.  So I'm kind of ashamed I don't know the name of it.  I found a flower on the internet called the coneflower that looks similar to it, but the coloration wasn't the same.  I'm going to have to get a good book on Texas wildflowers so I can ID all these things.

I took a walk around the place today with the camera to see what I could see, and well, there isn't much to photograph in the back of the place--just very dense brush.  I kept my eyes on the ground to see if I could find a copperhead back there in the leaves, but not today.  I ended up taking 66 photos and there were only two that I thought were fit for anyone to see, and they are both of this flower but from different angles.  You can see the other one at my photostream.

3 comments:

  1. It's definitely a coneflower; I think it is a variety known as Mexican Hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say Mexican Hat also, but when I looked it up on a Texas wildflowers website, the one they had pictured had a lot of red in it. This one might be browner because of the soil it grows in here, I don't know.

      Delete
  2. There are sub varieties of them; you can find it varying in small degrees all over the southwest. We have them here in Utah, and they look a lot like the one in your picture, only with a little less red.

    ReplyDelete