Thursday, January 17, 2013

X Minus 1

X Minus 1 was an old sci-fi radio show from the 1950s.  As I've said before, I like listening to old radio shows sometimes during my commute home in the afternoon, so I thought I'd give this one a try.  It's from the days of "vintage" sci-fi, of course, back when it was still safe for writers to speculate that Mars (or Venus) could be habitable by humans, and I still enjoy reading stories like that.  Anyway, so far I've listened to the first four plus the sixth one--the fifth one had a download problem and I've just re-downloaded it.  I've recognized two of the stories as chapters from The Martian Chronicles; the others were by authors I'd never heard of but were still good stories, and of course these are dramatized and not just a straight reading.  So if you're ever in the mood for such a thing, I recommend it.  Each one runs about 30 minutes.  Each show also includes information from the announcer on who acted in it and who wrote it.  It was produced by NBC, and the announcer is Don Pardo, although I must say that I did not recognize his voice just from having heard him on Saturday Night Live.

You can download a whole bunch of these shows at The Internet Archive, here.

I also found an old radio show version of The Foundation Trilogy, but I haven't listened to it yet.  It was a BBC Radio production, and the comments about it are, shall we say, "mixed."  But here's the link, if you're interested.

But definitely check out X Minus 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment