Friday, June 07, 2013

Kid update

My daughter is a more voracious reader than I once thought (I've learned differently).  When she started to get into horror, I told her to read my Lovecraft books.  "I already have...one of them anyway."  I think she started with the wrong one and I'm still trying to get her to read some of the better stories.  Anyway, she recently became a fan of Sherlock, which can be streamed on Netflix.  Also, she totally has a crush on the guy who plays Sherlock, even though she won't just come out and admit it  ("he has the deepest voice I've ever heard!...he's just...ooohhhh").  I told her she should read the original stories.  "Do you have them?" she asked.  I handed her my two volume set of the complete Sherlock.  So she is now reading Sherlock Holmes.  Yes.

I've been trying to talk her into reading some of my fantasy collection, but she doesn't seem to be all that interested in fantasy.  I'd think a teenage girl should really like all the Dragonriders of Pern books (especially since many of them have prominent female protagonists), but I haven't been able to get her to read even that yet.

P.S.  She is NOT a fan of Twilight.  "I tried to read the first one," she said once.  "It was stupid.  I couldn't finish it."

P.P.S.  I remember reading her Lovecraft's "The Festival" when she was 5 years old or so, paraphrasing some of the more difficult language so she could more easily understand it.  She loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment