Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I have honestly read some of these

20 Books You Pretend to Have Read

A couple of things on this list I'm surprised by.  I guess movie fangrrls might pretend they've really read LotR.

3.  Moby-Dick:  Most definitely.  I remember being surprised by how interesting and "readable" this book was.  I know there are a lot of so-called "classics" that are just an onerous chore to plow through, but this is not one of those.  If you haven't read it, don't waste any more time and just do it.

5.  The Bible:  Okay, I have not ever read the Bible cover to cover.  I did listen to it on CD completely through, which took me several months, a little at a time, because the CD collection I have runs about 75 hours.  But I was exhaustively taught the Bible through many years of church Bible classes when I was growing up.  I'm one of the few who would actually want a Bible category on Jeopardy, because I'm always surprised at how ignorant the contestants are on this topic.

6.  1984:  Yes, I read it, on my own, not because of an assignment, although I was still in high school.  The second most depressing book I've ever read.  The most depressing book was We the Living by Ayn Rand.

7.  The Lord of the Rings:  Good grief.  I might even say...well, duh!

10.  Catcher in the Rye:  Didn't read this one until I was a grown-up, more or less.

19.  Harry Potter:  Only the first three.  I'll read the rest someday when I get around to buying them all.

20.  A Tale of Two Cities:  Because it was a high school reading assignment.  This was one of those so-called classics that was an onerous chore to plow through.

I've always wanted to read Catch-22.  Just never got around to it.  I've never even seen the movie, except for little bits here and there (somehow).

No comments:

Post a Comment