Saturday, April 23, 2005

Review of the North American Arms .22 Magnum Mini-Revolver @ Concord Arms

Note: The linked article is from more than a month ago, but I just learned of this blog, so it's new to me.

I have the .22LR version of the mini-revolver, and I can confirm the unexpected accuracy of these little guns. Many years ago I owned (for a short time) a four-barrel .22 derringer, with which I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It was also painful just to shoot with anything bigger than a .22 Short--the grips cut into my hands and I had to re-establish my grip after every shot. I eventually took it to another gun store that had a used Single-Six and made a trade.

So, having had a bad experience with a derringer, why did I get one of these mini-revolvers? For some time I had been carrying a Kel-Tec P-32--one of those little .32 ACP pocket rockets. I had carried it for convenience and comfort, with a small pocket sheath it was something that I occasionally forgot I even had on me. Later I came to be so comfortable carrying a Ruger SP-101 in an IWB holster that I decided I had no use for the Kel-Tec anymore. I checked out some prices and figured I could probably get away with a straight-across trade--no cash involved--for one these mini-revolvers. One impractical gun for another, except the little revolver is just way more cool.

It is much more comfortable to shoot than the old derringer was, and is amazingly accurate for such a tiny gun. Unlike the gun reviewed in the linked article, mine shoots more or less where it's aimed, not 7" low at 7 yards or some such. I think soon I must take it out for some serious target-punching and see what it can do, and post an update.

I do sometimes carry this as a sort of "deep concealment" gun by simply slipping it into a nylon multi-tool sheath and sliding the whole thing in my pocket. Most of the time, however, it's just a fun plinker. It is also quite potent against snakes, if loaded with CCI Shotshells and the snake is near enough to actually be a threat to you.

1 comment:

  1. I have the one with the "holster-grip" that folds out. Nice little gun that's easy to conceal and carries like a pocket knife with a clip on its side. Good quality. It will shoot low if you level the top of the front post sight with the rear sight notch, but is pretty accurate if you only use the front post for windage and sight down the barrel (with the front sight sticking up).

    ReplyDelete