Sunday, July 10, 2005

9x18 Ammo

Several months ago, while taking my CHL requalification, I ran into another Makarov user who was complaining that 1) he couldn't find any ammo for it other than very expensive stuff at local gun stores ($21.99 plus tax for 50 rounds), and 2) he was trying to sell it but "no one wanted to take the thing." If I'd had some cash I would have bought it then and there, since it was one of the Russian versions with adjustable sights. I did recommend to him to go to the gun show and look for either Wolf or Sellier & Bellot. I hope he took my advice and found himself some cheaper ammo, so he can realize what a really great gun he had. But I wish I had also remembered to refer him to this website: 9x18 Ammo. Back when I first acquired my Makarov I made a thorough Internet-based investigation on all the ammo that was available. This website is about 5 years old so some of the information on it has probably changed. I plan on going through it and updating it, and I'll post update notices here when I find them, in case anyone is interested.

I did just notice that Wolf's ammo now has a "new polymer coating." I noticed that the .40 S&W Wolf ammo that I bought at the recent gun show had a black coating of some sort on the cases. I guess it's supposed to improve feeding? I don't know. I've used Wolf in 9x18 and .45 ACP--back when they just had the "bi-metal" cases without any coating--and I've never had a single problem with any of them. For some reason I've never tried any of their 9x19 ammo. In my opinion, this is some of the best cheap practice ammo you can get.

Here is Wolf's page on their new POLYFORMANCETM technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment