Saturday, July 02, 2005

Dog Attack

I have been going over and over this in my mind, trying to think of what I could have done differently to have prevented it, and there is only one conclusion: I could only have prevented it by not going into that yard. Once I was in, it was too late. I could have left the notice on the fence, and called it a "gate." But they didn't have a gate. Some people in the past have gotten in trouble for doing this (CPS is finicky this way). But that's the only way I could have avoided it.

The yard was full of several piles of junk and various large items (cast off window-units, maybe an old refrigerator). The only way to get to the door was to pick out a thready path through all the stuff in the yard. I was perhaps 10 feet from the house, and only about 4 feet from the dog, when it jumped out of its nook and hit me.

It was a very large German Shepherd. Its first hit got my left foot. Only superficial damage to my leg, but it also jerked backwards and twisted its head, pulling my legs out from under me and knocking me flat on my back. The second hit is the one that really hurt. It gouged a big chunk of flesh out of my outer thigh about halfway between my hip and my knee. I was crab-walking backwards at the time and it actually pulled me about 6 inches closer back to the house before the flesh ripped free. The third hit (this is where details get a little fuzzy) somehow managed to nick my left hand and slash my upper front thigh. I got only superficial cuts on my little finger, but dog bites also cause bludgeoning damage, and now my little finger and ring finger are both a little sore and stiff from being hit. The damage to my leg from this hit was a long, nasty gash starting about level with my hip socket and extending downwards for about 10 inches.

At this point I had managed to back up enough that the dog hit the end of its long leash. I was able to push their fence down and kind of roll over it to get out.

The dog isn't rabid. He was just protecting his turf, and I honestly bear him no ill will. After all, he's just a stupid dog. It isn't his fault that his owners have kept him on a chain for his entire life, so he knows only a small front yard as his world. I do bear a fairly large dose of rancor for the owners, who didn't even bother to put up a warning sign. I hope a small child doesn't accidentally wander up into that yard, because that dog will most likely kill him/her.

I was planning on going to the gun show today, but I don't think I could handle that much walking. Walking is quite uncomfortable, and if I accidentally bump into something just wrong I think I could even fall down. Sitting/lying is okay. Getting into/out of my truck actually hurts.

From now on, unless the yard is wide open, notices go on the fence. No matter if they have a gate or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment