Saturday, July 02, 2005

Gun Show

UPDATE: I forgot one other option for my next acquisition project: The Kel-Tec SUB-2000, avialable in both 9mm and .40 S&W. This is an interesting one because, unlike all the other makes, it collapses for storage. Different models are available which use magazines from different pistols: Glock , S&W, Beretta and SIG. It would be really cool to have a long gun like this that uses a magazine for which I also have the pistol, but currently that would mean only the Ruger 9mm for me, and I really have my heart set on a .40. Now if Kel-Tec would just make one that uses XD40 mags, that would settle the question immediately.

Well, I took a few extra-strength Tylenols, girded my loins (so to speak), and went anyway.

I didn't plan on buying anything big, and I didn't. Just got a little extra ammo (a box of S&B 7.65x25mm, two boxes of Wolf .40 S&W 180-grain FMJ, one box of Winchester .40 S&W 180-grain JHP).

I did spend a few minutes eyeing some old Colt .32 pocket pistols. I have no real use for any such thing, but I would like to get a .32 (and a .25 as well) just to round out the collection, and those old Colts have always struck my fancy.

I think my next firearm purchase will be some kind of long gun that shoots handgun ammo. This could be either a .357 lever or pump (like that Taurus that I recently learned about). Or it could be a semi-auto. The Hi-Point carbine was selling for around $150, both .40 and 9mm versions. I didn't see any Rugers, but the Beretta CX-4 Storm was going for slightly less than $600. I don't foresee being able to spend that much on a gun anytime soon, but they do make it in a .45 ACP version (hamana hamana). If Ruger ever makes their carbine in a .45 version, I will be hard-pressed to refrain from buying one.

Other notes. I used to own a Kel-Tec p-32 (I traded it for a NAA mini-revolver). I noticed that they were priced in the mid-$200's, which I think is less than I paid for mine (I don't remember, for some reason). Used Bulgarian Makarovs were priced in the high-$200's, or about twice what I bought mine for about 5 years ago.

I also got a wooden rubber-band gun for $5 (for the the kids to play with--yeah, that's the ticket). I wanted to get one of the 12-shot machine gun versions, but I was out of cash.

Also, I noticed for the first time this curious ammo made by Aguila, the .22 Super Colibri. It shoots a 20-grain projectile with no powder, apparently only with the primer charge (it's rimfire, of course) at a velocity of 500 fps. Made for having very little noise signature. This would have been great ammo to have when I was a teenager and frequently went rat hunting in my dad's barn and surrounding livestock pens. I think this ammo would turn your average Single-Six into a mean rat gun.

I also want to put in a plug for this little gadget: the Magloader. Cheap, simple, and it works on everything. Forget about those fancy model-specific magazine loaders that cost you $20 or $30. Just get a few of these and put one wherever you think you might need to reload a magazine. The little old lady who sells them at this gun show always sets up on the far left wall (from the entrance). I bought one last time I was there, and this time I actually stopped by her table just to tell her how great I think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment