Saturday, July 02, 2005

Just noticed this...

While driving in to work yesterday morning I noticed a small billboard on highway 87 advertising a new "progressive talk radio" station. I promptly tried tuning it in. I could barely hear it because of the weak signal. A few miles later I saw another billboard, and tried again. This time it was completely unintelligible, pretty much nothing but noise.

The station is 92.5 FM, KRPT. Until recently this was "hip hop radio" KHTY according to OnTheRadio.Net.

I'm not in the radio business, but Clear Channel (the apparent owner) doesn't appear to know what they're doing. Notice this coverage map at Radio-Locator.com. Even southwest San Antonio is in the "distant" area, (I was a little farther east while I was trying to pick it up). There were only a few places where I could get a decent signal, most of the time it was very noisy or non-existent.

Then notice the red "local" area where coverage is consistent. I guess it must be news to somebody, but the farming/ranching area that this covers is not going to have very many hip-hop or "progressive" (liberal) talk radio listeners. The vast majority of people in this area are going to be listening to Rush Limbaugh on WOAI or "classic" country music on KKYX.

And although Air America lists this station as an affiliate, they don't carry some of the big names like Al Franken. Some of their "personalities" are local people who have lost their jobs on other stations because no one would listen to their shows.

Just thought I would point that out. My prediction: a year from now (maximum), 92.5 FM in Divine/Pearsall will have a new callsign, and be playing either "classic" country or conjunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment