Thursday, October 13, 2005

"Squib Loads"

Alan (a different Alan) at personal protection training & firearm instruction posts about "squib loads," and how the bullet still exited the barrel, in a .380. I also have witnessed such an episode with new-in-the-box .380 ammo, although I don't know what brand it was. It happened to the guy next to me who was using a Bersa. I heard it and the rangemaster who was standing several yards away heard it. Since I was looking downrange at the time, I was also able to see the bullet kick up dust in front of the target (it didn't quite make it to the target).

I'm hoping this means that light bullets in short barrels might still be able to consistently clear the barrel even when loaded improperly. (But it's not something I would count on).

No comments:

Post a Comment