Sunday, January 08, 2006

John Lott comments on Texas

John Lott's Website has a picture allegedly from some unnamed place somewhere in Texas.

Although you may think there is no absolute proof in the photo that it is from Texas (the license plate on the car is too far away, although it appears to be basic white like Texas plates), I do, in fact, see proof. [UPDATE: My mistake! I completely missed the Texas Lottery sign.]

The sun is shining brightly. There is not a cloud in the sky. And yet, the "WATCH FOR ICE ON BRIDGE" sign is open. (When it's closed, it just says "DRIVE FRIENDLY"). These signs stay on display pretty much October through May, regardless of weather.

I have seen a great many places nearly identical to this during my travels around my home area. When I was a kid, I bought BB's and my dad bought ammo at an "icehouse" on the highway that was a convenience store before they were called convenience stores. We also got our hunting licenses every year at that same store. I still think it's odd that most "convenience stores" don't sell ammo.

UPDATE: Matthew at Triggerfinger makes this comment:
Unfortunately, since that quote was first uttered, the agency which inspired it has gone through a reorganization. They are now the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

I can only hope that the wonderful little Texas convenience store will view the change in the agency's scope as an inspiration.
Heh heh.