Sunday, November 18, 2007

Punk Electronica

I had a total blast from the past today. I was going to try and rip a few more cassettes, but got derailed when my Flatt & Scruggs tape broke (bummer), and I managed to tape only one side of Emmylou Harris' Thirteen when I noticed some cassette drawers that I hadn't looked through yet. Inside I found some of my "missing" tapes: Husker Du, Frozen Ghost, Grant Hart, and the Boomtown Rats. I also found an old tape of stuff I did back when I used to play with synthesizers.

Oh man, I miss those days. Someday I want to get some modern equipment and do that again. Back then I was convinced that I had wasted a lot of money on that stuff for no good reason, but looking back now, the fun I had was worth it.

I still have everything. Both synths need to be worked on by someone who knows what they're doing, because they've both gone a little funky. The digital piano is fine, and the drum machine probably works but it would take me a while to figure it out again because it was pretty complicated (owner's manual? yeah, I'm sure it's somewhere). As for the old sequencer I used, it was obsolete when I bought it, which was why I got a good deal on it, and I don't plan on kludging around with that thing again.

I also got immense enjoyment from creating new sounds, or figuring out how to mimic sounds that I heard in various songs. I came up with some pretty sweet patches on the Korg Poly800II. I used to have a notebook of them all, who knows what ever became of that.

So I've been ripping that old cassette and making some mp3s so I can listen to them now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment