Saturday, August 30, 2008

And this is the kind of song I have written

Since I'm in a rare mood tonight, here's one of the last sets of lyrics I committed to paper. The first stanza and chorus were written sometime in the mid-late 80s, the last two stanzas several years later. It took a while. I never have been able to think of a title for it.

Monday took me by surprise
Tuesday didn't find me any more wise
Wednesday came and Thursday went
I thanked God for Friday, but it wasn't heaven sent
Saturday took too long, everything went all wrong
Then Sunday came and I still felt the same

(chorus)
So take me by the hand
Lead me to the promised land
Take the long way home
Let the tears fill up my eyes
I've come a long, long way
From those hometown days
But I still can't say goodbye
Gotta find my way,
Gotta find my wings and fly

Heaven only knows the score
I haven't tried to keep track of things since 1984
I don't have much to do or say
I don't think that it would really matter much anyway
It makes no difference at all if I run or if I crawl
Or if I fly so high I touch the sun

(chorus)

I feel like a pair of old blue jeans
Kinda comfortable, faded and frayed
I get a misty kind of laid-back feeling
When those psychedelic blues are played
Sometimes I think that I was born too late
Sometimes it seems that I was born too soon
Sometimes at night I to hide away
On the dark side of the moon
I'm too far gone to be confused, I think I paid someone else's dues
Or maybe someone else paid my dues for me

No comments:

Post a Comment