Thursday, January 22, 2009

Blah Blah Blah

I need to touch
a live unbeaten earth
so that's where I'm going
I know a town in northwest Mexico
where the sun is gold and life exists

Still working my way through a stack of tapes and converting them to mp3, some of them bring back vivid memories of the time I bought the album, what was happening in my life and in the world at large, the people I knew and what we did.

And then there's this album.

I searched the lyrics of every song to try and find a good epigram for this post, and the above was about the best I could come up with. I don't remember why I bought this album. It's still fun to listen to now and then, just for a nostalgic kick. I played it quite a lot back in the 80s, but never took it all that seriously. There is one line in the song "Fire Girl": I got a pocket full of rain. This line has always stuck in my head and I've thought often about ripping it off to begin some lyrics of my own: I've got a pocket full of rain/I thought I'd save it for a sunny day... But that's about as far as it got.

Someone once told me I looked like Iggy Pop, but that was more than 20 years ago and I think I can see the resemblance, though I don't think it applies anymore these days. I remember laughing about it at the time.

So I don't have anything even pseudo-profound to say about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment