Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Another "MacGyver" moment

(The handheld computer thingies we carry have an elastic strap on the back to make them easier to hold).

Co-worker: Did you get a new strap?

Me: No. The old one tore so I just took it off, punched a new hole through it and screwed it back on. Happened one day when I was out in the field.

Co-worker: How did you do that?

Me: Swiss Army knife.

Co-worker: Wow. That's pretty cool.

Sigh. It's getting harder and harder for me to take anyone seriously who doesn't carry at least some kind of multi-function pocket knife. Personally, I always carry the Swiss Army knife (Tinker model), a Leatherman Wave and a S&W kerambit (for serious cutting jobs and to open bags of Corn Nuts). I also have a Swiss Army "cybertool" model which I don't carry all the time but which has proved indispensible on occasion. I frequently use the tweezers on the Tinker to remove splinters and thorns from my hands while working, and I don't know how I could get by without it.

3 comments:

  1. I also carry a Swiss knife, a Wave and my regular knife. I feel naked without at least one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always carry a small leatherman on my keychain. I have a Leatherman or a Gerber multitool in each of our cars. I have three different knives/multitools in my briefcase or messenger bag which are usually with me and I have several knives/multitools in my BOB/hiking pack. I'd say I'm fairly well equiped. I also feel naked without at least some type of knife. It drives me nuts when I have to leave them behind when I fly because I don't check. I found a litte work around though. There are several multitools out there without knives and there's also a multitool shaped like a key, I put booth in my carry-on and have yet to be stopped with them(knocking on wood vigourously).

    ReplyDelete