Monday, September 14, 2009

10 albums a day #41



Pink Floyd
- The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967, LP)
- A Saucerful of Secrets (1968, cassette)
- Ummagumma (1969, double CD)
- Atom Heart Mother (1970, CD)
- Meddle (1971, LP)
- Obscured By Clouds (1972, CD)
- Dark Side of the Moon (1973, CD)
- Wish You Were Here (1975, CD)
- Animals (1977, CD)
- The Wall (1979, double LP)
- Works (1983, CD)
- A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987, cassette)

The first one to come into my possession was The Wall. Other early ones must have been Dark Side, Meddle and Piper because I have all those on LP. Later on, Dark Side was one of the first CDs I bought when I got my first CD player. Secrets is actually from a dupe tape of an LP, but it still sounds pretty good.

Works is a compilation album that is not entirely redundant. The tracks that appeared on previous albums are not all entirely identical to the original versions. It also has a few tracks that were released only as singles and were not included on any albums. It also has one track ("Embryo") which is not a Pink Floyd track but Roger Waters only, and must have come from the Sounds from The Body sessions.

I also have a cassette of A Collection of Great Dance Songs which I bought because it has an alt version of "Money" (I ripped just that one song), and a two-cassette set of The Delicate Sound of Thunder that I bought because it was cheap. I haven't ripped it yet.

I would still like to get CD versions of Piper, Secrets, and Meddle, and I would still like to add The Final Cut to make it complete. I suppose I should also get More, for completeness, and Relics because it has a couple of tracks that were previously released only as singles or B-sides.

The side-long track "Echoes" from Meddle is one of my overall favorite Pink Floyd pieces, by the way. Favorite album? Probably a tie between Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here.

Also, back sometime around 1990 or so, KZEP played the entire live album Live at Pompeii Live at the Paris Theatre* and I taped the whole thing. I should see if I can find it in the tape drawers and give it a listen to see if the sound quality is good enough to keep.

Album count: 415.

*Update: My memory failed me there.

2 comments:

  1. I loved it when KZEP used to play entire albums at night (or was it just album sides?). I never taped anything, but I used to do a lot of driving at night, and those album sides gave me the opportunity to hear more music besides what was played on the radio and to decide whether it was worth buying the whole LP. I can't remember exactly what I bought because of what I heard on KZEP, but I'm pretty sure a couple of my albums came to me that way.

    Bonus '80s trivia: Remember when KZEP was KXZL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember KXZL, but I never listened to it. When KZEP first started, they were different and better than they are now.

    ReplyDelete