Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Quick update

Last night's small experimental batch of venison jerky was far too salty, but still edible.  I just used way too much tenderizer on it, which is mostly salt.  Why tenderize jerky? you may ask.  I can understand that question if all you've ever eaten is store-bought meat, or even butcher-shop prepared meat, which is all already tenderized for you.  If you've ever tried to gnaw a hunk of untenderized venison, you'll understand.

So anyway, I started a new batch as soon as I got home today, still tenderized but with quite a bit less tenderizer.  Should be ready about 6:00-6:30.  I'm hoping it won't be so salty.

I achieved a life-long dream of mine last night:  I was able to see the movie Viva Max (1969).  It has never been released on DVD.  New (that is, unused) copies on VHS are insanely expensive and if you've had the same experiences I have had with used tapes you won't touch one with a 39 1/2 foot pole.  They showed it on one of the cable movie channels last night and I was able to record the whole thing with my DVD recorder.  I'll have a full review with plenty of screen caps as soon as possible.

I will go ahead and say now that the biggest reason I wanted to see it was because I know an elderly gentleman who was an extra in it when he was much younger.  I was not able to see him even though he is supposed to be visible if you know where to look.  I'll have to ask him about it next time I see him.  The secondary reason I wanted to see it is because it was largely filmed in San Antonio.  Thirdly, it's a comedy about the Alamo and the DRT were all upset about it because you just don't make comedies about the Alamo.  Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment