Sunday, February 02, 2014

Avocado intolerance

10 Insane Diets No One Should Ever Try

I want to comment on this only because of this line:
I've studied all the diets, and the only thing they all agree we should eat is half an avocado.
Not true.  I have an avocado intolerance.  I do not like avocados, and I will not tolerate them.*

Apparently there is a certain fatty acid that is particular to avocados which many animals are unable to digest, which is why you should avoid feeding them to your pets.  A very small percentage of humans are also unable to digest this fatty acid.

Within a couple of hours of attempting to eat avocado (I have tried eating guacamole only twice, both with disastrous results), I will be vomiting it back up.  My two times trying to eat it engraved themselves so firmly into my memory that just seeing avocados makes my guts clench, and the last time was more than 20 years ago.

I have the same reaction, though to much lesser dramatic and traumatic extent, to coconut and pineapple.  I can handle a little of either, like I can generally handle coconut macaroon cookies with no problem.  If someone makes a ham with pineapples on it, I scrape the pineapple off and can eat it with no problem.

When I was about 10 years old, a baby-sitter made me eat a whole slice of canned pineapple for a snack and it wasn't pretty.  That never happened again.

So...don't ever offer me anything with avocado in it.

*Paraphrasing Jerry Seinfeld in regard to his lactose intolerance.

1 comment:

  1. Same here, accidently at some avocado and am suffering the consequences. I wonder what exactly it causing this because this is really the only food that I am unable to digest..

    ReplyDelete