Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Yeah, sure, whatever...

UPDATE: I must give credit where credit is due. Mr. Cuellar did sign the Congressional Amicus Brief, which in legal terms, probably has more weight than the letter, anyway.

[original post below]

On January 23 I sent an email to my so-called representative urging him to sign onto the letter written by Rep. Virgil Goode regarding the amicus brief filed against the Second Amendment by the Bush DOJ.

I finally got a reply.
Thank you for contacting my office about Second Amendment issues. I understand and appreciate your point of view on this topic, and I value this opportunity to respond to you.

I have always supported the Second Amendment right of citizens to bear arms in a safe and responsible manner. Gun ownership is part of our nation's heritage. While I support reasonable gun laws designed to protect public safety, gun owners and dealers should never be singled out for politically motivated attacks. In order to preserve the rights of gun owners, I have worked closely with and been endorsed by organizations such as the National Rifle Association. As the legislative year continues, you can be sure that I will keep your views on this issue in mind, and that I will act to create laws that are consistent with our basic Constitutional rights.
Blah blah blahdee blahdee blah. And his magic recitation of the impotent NRA cantrip doesn't impress me either. Since there's no mention of him signing the letter, I must assume he's not going to do it. Like I said, he's only my so-called representative because he doesn't represent me. I would say that he's lost my vote, but that wouldn't be true. I've never voted for him.

2 comments:

  1. I got the same letter almost verbatim. They never answer the question do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the same kind of keyword reply whenever I wrote to KBH.

    Cuellar never bothered to answer.

    Don't know id Quico canseco is in your jurisdiction, or not- but he'd make a good Rep.

    ReplyDelete