Tuesday, September 08, 2009

10 albums a day #38


Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper
- Get Out of My Way! (1986, cassette)
- Bo-Day-Shus!!! (1987, cassette)
- Root Hog or Die (1989, cassette)
The Monkees - Greatest Hits (CD)
The Moody Blues - Greatest Hits (1989, CD)
Motorhead - No Remorse (1984, cassette)
Moxy - Moxy (1976, LP)
Nashville Dulcimers - Super Hits (2000, cassette)
Nena - 99 Luftballons (1984, LP)
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Greatest Hits (1990, cassette)

All three Mojo Nixon tapes were bought at about the same time at Hastings after discovering him on an Enigma label sampler CD. I recently turned the opening scream from "Burn Down the Malls" into a ringtone.

During my time at Mr. Gatti's I was very fortunate to have a long string of co-workers who all had what I considered above average interests in music and we had many interesting and fruitful discussions on that topic. One night one of them--his name was George--was making fun of one of the girls because she had said she liked the Monkees. "I like the Monkees," I said. "Yeah," George replied, "but it's okay if you like the Monkees." That really cracked me up. I most like the songs that Michael Nesmith wrote.

The Moody Blues compilation was a good addition for filling in the blanks. I have a couple of old records of theirs also that I haven't ripped yet.

No Remorse is my only Motorhead album. I like it, but my interests have diverged since then and I doubt if I'll go out of my way to get any more. It could happen, though.

The Nashville Dulcimers tape was bought at a truck stop somewhere in the U.S. when I was truck driving. I bought quite a few tapes during that time, because, believe it or not, there are still a lot of places--especially out west--where you just can't pick up any FM radio stations*. This is a great collection of mountain dulcimer music by a dulcimer band. There are other instruments in the band, but the focus is on the dulcimers. This is the last of my only three dulcimer music albums.

Nena is another familiar one from the 80s, although I didn't buy it when it was new. I found this one used sometime in the late 80s.

The Dirt Band tape is another from the truck driving days, and it's still one of my favorite road albums.

Album count: 382.

*Except for contemporary Christian. That's one format of FM station you can get anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. The Moody Blues next to Motorhead -- that's almost poetic.

    *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never could understand compilations of The Moody Blues; each of their first five albums were designed to be played from start to finish, as a whole piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compilations are put out by record companies, not the artists. They don't have to make sense, just money.

    ReplyDelete