Friday, October 02, 2009

10 albums a day #55


The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967, CD)
Vince Gill - High Lonesome Sound (1996, CD)
Voivod - Nothingface (1989, CD)
Wall of Voodoo
- Seven Days in Sammystown (1985, LP)
- Happy Planet (1987, LP)
Warren Zevon
- Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School (1980, cassette)
- A Quiet Normal Life, The Best of (1986, dupe cassette)
- Genius, The Best of (2002, CD)

The Velvet Underground album was for my own musical education, since it is one of those milestone records in rock history. I have one other cassette of theirs which is in the stack next to me but I haven't quite gotten around to ripping it yet.

Vince Gill is my wife's CD. I ripped it out of curiosity.

I bought the Voivod CD because someone told me that they were a thrash band and this album had a cover of Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine" on it. Other than that, I guess it's perfectly good thrash/speed metal or whatever you want to call it.

Click the link to read what I've already written about Sammystown. I bought Happy Planet since it was the next album, but it is brighter and "happier" than Sammystown and it didn't appeal to me as much. I do like it, though. One notable song is "Elvis Bought Dora a Cadillac," about one time when Elvis tipped a diner waitress with a Cadillac.

I learned about Warren Zevon back in the 80s through my friends Brer, Babel and their older brother. A Quiet Normal Life was taped from Babel's CD, and I have deleted all the tracks that are redundant with Genius. He was another artist who was hard to find at Hastings, but I did happen across that cassette of Dancing School one day and bought it. It has one of my favorite songs of his, "Gorilla You're a Desperado." I would still recommend, if someone were looking for a good overview of his stuff, to get both of those "best of" albums because they are not entirely redundant, and I have one minor gripe about Genius in that it didn't include another of my favorite songs, "Desperado Under the Eaves."

Album count: 567.

No comments:

Post a Comment