Saturday, October 08, 2005

Carryability--XD40 vs. P95D













Today I broke out the old P95D since I hadn't carried it in a while, and I wanted to remind myself why. The pictures above are not to scale, and the manufacturers don't have complete info on all the dimensions; they only publish the overall length. So I measured length, width and height myself. This is what I came up with:

P95D
Length--7 1/4"
Width--1 1/8" or 1 1/4" including slide release
Height--5 1/2"

XD40
Length--7"
Width--1 1/8" or 1 3/16" including slide release
Height--5 3/8"

Both have an official weight of 27 ounces unloaded. The XD40 is only slightly smaller, so slightly that it doesn't seem logical that there would be a real difference. Why is it then, that it is so much easier to carry the XD40?

Part of Carnival of Cordite #34

2 comments:

  1. Well, there are a couple of other variables; how the pistol weight is distributed, the exact shape of the pistol (as in sharp edges and such), and of course, what kind of holster you choose. I feel more comfortable carrying my Hi Power than my USP Compact because it is narrower, fits closer to my body and the holster I have keeps it tight against me while allowing a decent draw.

    I'd say you really can't compare carry-ability until you put both pistols in the same holster rig; even then, it's still not going to be quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have mentioned that before, but yes, I have carried them both in the same holster rig. The P95 just feels like an enormous bulk compared to the XD.

    ReplyDelete