Saturday, October 22, 2005

Some TV Shows I Like and Other Inconsequential Remarks

A couple of new blogs were added to the blogroll this week: Personal Protection & Firearm Training and South Park Pundit. These are both blogs that I realized had added this blog to their rolls. Both have also been added to my Bloglines subscriptions and are now regular reads. I think these are the only two I added this week.

This week I hit a new record high of 15 inbound links at TTLB. I was actually inside the top 10,000 for a couple of days.

I have been getting a few hits every day because of people Googling (under Google Images) "alucard pistol," and being referred to this link. I don't remember where I found this picture, but I'm pretty sure I had renamed it so I would be able to find it on my own computer easier. If you do search that term under Google Images, you will see that the picture referred to is the only entry. The odd thing about this is that all but a very few of the people searching for this are outside the U.S. I mean like only about 1-2% are inside the U.S. I guess Hellsing has a lot of fans worldwide. I wish they would make more episodes, or a movie, or something. I guess I could actually go and read the manga instead of just watching the anime. Whatever happens with Seras Victoria? Does she finally "go all the way" and become a real vampire? And what's the deal with those wire/string things that Walter apparently shoots out of his fingers to fight with? And does Alucard eventually get an even bigger gun?

I am not a fan of anime just for the sake of anime. But I have become a fan of certain specific anime, such as the aforementioned Hellsing, as well as Cowboy Bebop, Read Or Die, and especially, Fullmetal Alchemist.Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist
The latter is not only one of the best anime shows ever, it is one of the best TV shows ever. (I have read that many fans of the anime genre do flatly state that it is the best anime series ever.) It is full of secrets and riddles, joy and tragedy, mercy and vengeance, and having it set in a sort of parallel timeline around the year 1900 where alchemy actually works is almost beside the point. It is shown on Cartoon Network at 10:30 PM central time on Saturday (and again at 12:30 AM central Sunday morning, and I think rerun again sometime during the following week, like on Thursday).

Many other shows I enjoy run toward the same tastes as my reading: nonfiction documentaries, westerns and science fiction. Many readers of this blog will probably immediately think of Firefly, and you are right. There's also Farscape and Lexx. Farscape is now being shown on WGN. I don't know of any channels that are showing Lexx right now. I used to also really enjoy Forever Knight.

There are plenty of comedies that I enjoy also, but I don't feel like writing about them right now.

Alucard gets down to business

Releasing restrictions on control to level five...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mentions and the roll. Check ya later!

    ReplyDelete