Thursday, December 08, 2005

Cold Day, Hot Chili

Fortunately, it stopped raining last night and the temperature has sneaked back up to 35, so things have defrosted a little. I have no desire to go shooting in this weather, maybe tomorrow, when the forecasted high is supposed to be in the upper 40's.

Just so the day won't be a total loss, I have some chili in the slow cooker. Since I have previously posted some of my jerky recipes on here (see sidebar), I may as well put my chili recipe here, too.

2 lbs. ground beef (I prefer the "chili cut" from H.E.B.--a coarser grind than "hamburger")
1 whole white onion (not too big)
1 clove garlic
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
4 tbs chili powder
1 1/2 tbs paprika
3 tsp salt
28 oz tomato puree (use sauce if you want it less thick)
14 oz water (or more, some of it will cook away)
1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes w/ green chili pepper)

Chop up all the vegetables and throw them into the sauce. The meat should be browned before going into the pot. Slow cook until ready.

Alternatively, I sometimes use a big pot on the stove, with which I bring to a boil and then cook on 1/4 heat for an hour, then simmer to keep warm.

If I were making this only for myself, I would also add 3 tsp El Yucateca habanero sauce. As it is, I will probably just add a couple of drops of Vicious Viper to my own bowl. For Texans, El Yucateca can be found in the "ethnic foods" section at H.E.B. Vicious Viper can be ordered online, just follow the link.

Oh yeah, I always cook the beans separately.

Serve with tortillas.