Saturday, December 31, 2005

Obligatory end-of-year post

I will probably be asleep by midnight. I haven't gone out of my way to celebrate the new year in a long time, since about the time a friend of mine was killed in a car accident on New Year's Eve in the mid-80's. No alcohol involved, just a treacherously icy road on his way home from work.

It was just a few days ago that I mentioned it was technically my blogoversary. But it was such a meandering, unfocused, inconsistent thing for so long that I don't really think much of it before March of this year, when I actually became more or less focused and started posting something pretty much every day. It was in April that I noticed someone had actually read this blog, when Lest Darkness Fall linked to this post from April 8.

When I first entered this blog in the infamous Ecosystem, I really was an Insignificant Microbe. I am still usually surprised when some of the other more widely-read blogs link to this one. I know many readers first came here because of my somewhat acerbic comments regarding gun control, but when I stray from that I hope that I will be forgiven.

I have never been one to make New Year's resolutions. The beginning of the year is only another nonsensical, arbitrary boundary in the grand scheme of things anyway, although it does give one a good excuse for reflection on the year past. But I'll try for a couple of resolutions. (By the way, I did not buy a single gun this year, so I think I am due for some).

1. Use the words "eldritch" and "doom" on this blog at least once per month. I'll try to sneak in an "ineffable" now and then as well.

2. Get a new C&R license. I accidentally let mine expire this past March. C&R guns I would like to get: an SKS, a Mauser of some sort, and a CZ-50. And maybe a couple of others I can't think of right now.

3. "Complete" my .357 magnum collection. By "complete" I mean to add a lever-action rifle or carbine and a derringer. These added to my Ruger SP-101 and S&W Model 28 should provide a well-rounded collection of .357 magnum blasting tools. If I could afford one of those semi-auto pistols I would go for that too, but they are way out of my price range.

4. More gun pr0n. I don't have the camera or especially the photographic skills to take really nice pix, and I don't have a huge collection to take pictures of, but I'm going to try and post more "found on the internet" pictures that strike my fancy.

5. Go to the range more often.

So here's some gun pr0n to end the year with. The Desert Eagle .357 magnum.
Can you look at this gun and not want to shoot it? I can't.