Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Which one of these is not like the others?

I recently posted a vintage ad for a Kaywoodie 7-Day Matched Set. And now one turns up on eBay with a starting bid of only $49.99. I'm glad the seller said he doesn't know much about pipes, otherwise I could only assume he's trying to rip someone off.

Well, even if all these pipes were part of the original set, it wouldn't be worth much because they have been so heavily used. But if you have a sharp eye, you should be able to see carving or rustication on the topmost pipe. There's no way a 7-pipe matched set would have one with a rusticated finish and six with smooth finishes. Also the cutouts in the case don't seem to match up to all the pipes.

On the other hand, this is a fantastic old pipe, and must be running near 80 years old by now. Even more worth mentioning because of the excellent photos showing this clear example of the original KBB-inside-a-cloverleaf logo of the original company that later became Kaywoodie. I'll have to watch this one just to see how much it sells for.

1 comment:

  1. I should probably sell off a few of my pipes, other than some I like for looks and sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete