Friday, May 08, 2009

Computer humor

In case you aren't familiar with this website, I'd like to point out The Daily WTF.  Sometimes you get an all verbal post, sometimes you get a collection of WTFish images.  For some reason this passage from a recent post made me laugh.

Cell 24Z - The Daily WTF
Fortunately, our ["our" being software developers --ed.] hard-earned skills of “reading an instruction manual” and “applying common sense” enable us to solve most of these vexing computer mysteries. But when it comes to anything more advanced than rudimentary, we tend to be as lost as our laymen counterparts. Take, for example, that little paintbrush-looking button in Excel. Did you know it's called the “Format Painter” and can magically copy/paste cell formatting? Did you even know it was there? I didn't until recently, and holy crap is it awesome.
Actually, I did already know about the format painter and have used it many times.  I had to create a spreadsheet to track employee performance in a previous job, and I had a lot of time to play with Excel.

And long before that, I was always the guy they went to to fix circular references in Lotus 1-2-3 (for DOS!  with an amber monochrome monitor!), which was used for book-keeping at the restaurant where I was employed.  I even went by and fixed it a few times after I no longer worked there.  I really don't know how they kept screwing it up.

I don't know how many times the manager was freaking out because something had stopped working and all I did was use common sense and plug something back in.  And I'm not even a computer professional, nor a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe that's why it strikes me as so funny.  Read the link and see the formula that was in cell 24Z, and see if you can make heads or tails of it.  I can't.  That one is way beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment